EMG is a diagnostic procedure, intended to estimate conditions of muscles, nerves and nerve cells that control thereof. The method helps to define the grounds of frequent problems lime muscle weakness of extremities, disorders of sensitivity (sleep etc.)
- CT/MRI: 09:00 a.m. - 06:00 p.m.
- X-Ray: 09:00 a.m. - 03:00 p.m.
- Other departments: 09:00 a.m. - 04:00 p.m.
- On holidays – upon agreement.
- 27 Bulvarno-Kudriavska Street,
Kyiv 01601 Ukraine
- 7 Chekhivsky Lane,
Kyiv 01601 Ukraine.
- +38 (044) 288-01-31 (CT/MRI)
- +38 (044) 288-01-32 (US/ENMG/W-Ray)
- +38 (044) 486-36-36 (US/ENMG/X-Ray)
- +38 (095) 922-38-93 (CT/MRI)
What is electromyography (EMG)?
EMG is a diagnostic procedure, intended to estimate conditions of muscles, nerves and nerve cells that control thereof. The method helps to define the grounds of frequent problems lime muscle weakness of extremities, disorders of sensitivity (sleep etc.) or pain, and to define, what are they connected with – pathology of spine cord, nerves or muscles. Choice of the leading method of examination depends on the clinical tasks (i.e. on clinical diagnosis by your attending doctor – neuropathologist, traumatologist, physician, endocrinologist etc.).
Basic methods of examination
Examination of nerve conductivity by stimulating EMG is mostly applied in pathologies of peripheral nerves (trauma and compression neuropathies (tunnel syndromes), polyneuropathies of different genesis), pathologies of nerve-muscle transmission (myasthenia). While this examination, peripheral nerves are stimulated by short-term electric impulses. The method is not invasive; it involves the use of surface skin stimulating and lead electrodes.
Needle method of EMG is most frequently applied in case of suspicious mononeurones diseases (spinal amyotrophic, side amyotrophic sclerosis etc.), muscles themselves (myopathies, inflammation diseases etc.). At that thin needle-like electrode in inserted into a muscle to register activity of muscle in calm conditions and shortening.
As a rule, for diagnosing pathologies of nerve and muscle system, a complex of electromyography methods (electroneuromyography) is applied to complement each other and allow differentiating different diseases, identifying character of pathology process and course thereof.
EMG gives possibility to approve clinical diagnosis, monitor process and treatment of the disease.
EMG is frequently prescribed in case of:
- Diseases of motoneurones of spine cord (side amyotrophic sclerosis (SAS), poliomyelitis, secondary damages of motoneurones in tumors and syringomielles etc.).
- Initial muscle diseases (progressing muscle dystrophies, endocrine myopathies, polyiositis etc.).
- Pathologies of peripheral nerves of different genesis (inflammation polyneuropathies, dysmethabolic (diabetes mellitus etc.). In case of exogenous intoxication (medical, alcohol etc.). In system diseases of connective tissues, inherited diseases etc.).
- Traumatic damages of peripheral nerves and nodes of upper and lower limbs.
- In compression damages of peripheral nerves (syndrome of carpal and cubital tunnel canal etc.).